Wednesday, February 20, 2008

new beginnings ideas


Last night our young womens had our new beginnings. When we started planning a few months ago, we were looking for something new and fun. I did some internet surfing and found a site where people had posted their ideas. I really liked one that was a mission impossib
le theme, only it was mission possible... get it.. personal progress is possible. Apparently, our ward had done something similar a couple of years ago, bummer, I'll just have to remember that one. So we picked out another idea that was sports related. It was all about how we are a team... the bishop is our manager, our president is the coach. The advisors are assistant coaches, the class presidencies are the team captains and all the girls are the players. We even introduced the incoming beehives as "rookies".

So I was in charge of some of the hand-outs. i made the little water bottle labels to make "power water". This was the gift each of the girls got depending on which value they earned a medalian for. (i think they turned out pretty cute!)


i was also in charge of the thank-you's for our advisors. I ended up deciding on red chocolate covered popcorn.
It's a no-fail treat and i'll share the secret recipe here:



first... go to Michaels, or Roberts craft store and buy these meltable candy wafers. They come in all colors perfect for any holiday or occasion. Then pop up some popcorn... I actually used a real pop corn popper, but i imagine you could make microwave popcorn, just make plain... not buttered. For each batch of popcorn, melt about 1 cup of the wafers in the microwave for about 1 minute, stirring 1/2 way through. Then just pour over your popcorn (in a large bowl) and stir until popcorn is pretty evenly coated. Spread out on wax paper to set. And that's it! i know, really complicated.


Just make sure you have plenty of counter space! i managed to make a couple of batches while Aspen was watching Dora, but when it ended and she came to find out what I was doing... she had to sample some!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

gramakas said...

Really cute idea... the bottles looked perfect with those colors and values labels and the popcorn is always a hit! I hope you have a little bagful for the person that loaned you the popcorn popper!

chanel said...

so cute ... i bet aspen loved helping (by the look of it - it was worth it for her!)

Clark Captions said...

Katie! You are so awesome! Those bottle look fabulous, and the popcorn so tasty. And then of course, Aspen is always so adorable. Do you mind if I share your ideas with our YW President? Sooo cute!