Thursday, September 13, 2007

me... retro?



So here's the story about my bedroom furniture. Shortly after Clark and I were married and we were living with all kinds of random hand-me-down furniture like all newlyweds should... we still lacked a bedroom set. My friend, Amy, called me one day to tell me her grandmother had passed away and had a whole house full of furniture if we wanted anything. Amy and her siblings were the only grandchildren and they had already taken what they wanted so she said anything else was up for grabs. We being the not-so-picky, desperate, and poor newlyweds walked away with this super nice bedroom set. As time as gone on, I have developed a sort of love-hate relationship with this furniture. mostly hate... but it has grown on me in a funny kind of way, mostly the kind of way that means you can either learn to like it or be miserable about it for another 10 years until we happen to have a couple thousand dollars lying around to buy new bedroom furniture. So recently, I have noticed that perhaps this bedroom set could be coming back into style... in a retro sort of way. I found this bedroom set in a catalog at my sisters house and i thought that if that was in style... so was mine!

I remember watching Oprah once when she had one of her home-make-over shows with her home decorator guy and he said how most people when they decorate their homes tend to fix up everywhere but the bedroom because no one besides you really sees your bedroom. i thought how true that was with me. I quite like most of the rooms in my house EXCEPT my bedroom. So since I had discovered a new-found interest in my furniture, I thought maybe a few little pick-me-ups could help my blah bedroom. So here are my before and afters:

Before: sort of a random assortment of different things that never really felt like they went together.. especially the hand-me-down chair in the corner.

After... you can't really see the colors very well, but the curtains sort of pull it all together with more subdued tones, and it allows the window to be a focal point rather than an eye sore with those LOVELY vertical blinds! (Do I sound like I watch a lot of HGTV... design on a dime!0


No comments: