Saturday, June 09, 2007
Weekend Warriors!
Okay, so at the request of someone I'm related to whose had enough postings about the yard, I'll make it brief and not make anyone else suffer through photos of our yard. Maybe when it really gets completed we'll post some after photos! But today was a BIG day. I'm reflecting on the days of living in Carriage Lane Condominiums when the landscapers would come every monday and make the lawn and flower beds beautiful in one day. I'm trying to remember why we wanted to be responsible for all of that all on our own. Anyhow, now we're here so we're taking the challenge. So today we went and got SOD to fill in all our previously bindweed ridden flowerbeds. It was sort of entertaining at the nursery watching the guy try to load up the Sod. He was driving a forklift, but i'm not so sure if he was checked out on it or not. At first I was afraid he was going to drive the thing all the way up on the trailer, but he managed to unload the first pallet okay. Then he was trying just to bring another pallet closer to the trailer since we only needed about half the rolls of sod off of it. In the process he managed to basically flip over the entire pallet of sod and sent grass flying everywhere. We just loaded it onto the trailer ourselves with a few of the guys at the nursery and made it home. When we got home, we went door to door looking for a wheelbarrow to borrow. Next thing we knew our next door neighbors came wheeling over a wheelbarrow they borrowed for us from a neighbor who wasn't home and started helping us pack it into the back. We were like, holy cow, that is REALLY neighborly! And as if helping us unload it to the back wasn't enough, they stayed for probably two hours helping us lay down the sod in half the yard! Wow, it really made me think about if I would have been that neighborly. We were so grateful for their help, and for their two little kids who played with Aspen and kept her entertained. Later in the evening we attempted to thank them by having them over for some BBQ Carne Asada... mmm. It was a small thank you compared to how much they helped us out today. Big thanks to the Burnetts! I just hope that we'll take the opportunity at some point to be that good of a neighbor in return some day. I'm afraid if it had been the other way around, i might have walked by, said "looks like fun", and thought to myself "i'm so glad that's not us!" Rather than thinking to jump right in. Maybe some of my yummy chocolate chip cookies just might add to the thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Can't wait to see the finished product! And how nice of your neighbors.
Okay, so we are doing this exact same thing next Monday. I am way excited for grass, but I also know how much work it is! I look forward to seeing it finished.
Ha! Our backyard is in progress too. Jason is working on it as we speak. I can hear some sort of banging outside. I will have to post some "after" pics. Good luck!
Post a Comment