Tuesday, February 09, 2010

new toy!!!




I have been blending EVERYTHING I can think of around the kitchen! We just got this new super turbo blender and it has been so much fun! My excuse for buying it was that it works as a wheat grinder as well. So today I tried out my friend, Sheryl's, yummy whole wheat roll recipe. They actually turned out pretty well...


I was proud of myself. The bummer was that because I had made a pie on Sunday (for a superbowl treat) and it spilled over in the oven. Of course I totally forgot about it until my rolls start baking and I walk into the kitchen smelling something burning and seeing smoke billowing out of the oven. I
was like NO... NOT the rolls! So I checked it out, there wasn't a fire or anything serious, just burning crap on the bottom of the stove. I opened all the doors and windows and turned on the fans. (which feels SO good when it's like 35 degrees outside!) but the rolls survived. Unfortunately, instead of my house smelling like the delicious aroma of fresh baked bread, it smelled like I tried to burn the house down. Bummer, better luck next time!


I borrowed the book "deceptively delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld from Heidi. I had seen it before and though it sounded like a good idea. It's all about making foods that your kids will eat and sneaking veggies in as you prepare the dishes. The book is full of recipes from breakfast, dinner, and even desserts that you make using pureed veggies like carrots, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, etc... So now that I have my new blender I can puree all kinds of things. Tonight I made a yummy meatball soup from the book. The sauce was made with a tomato and carrot puree, and the meatballs were made with ground turkey and sweet potato puree. Along with other ingredients, you also add whole wheat pasta. I used curly noodles so my kids would think it was fun. And guess what... they ate it! Both of them! Go me!!! I have a whole list of things I want to try like "pink pancakes" using whole wheat pancake batter and beet puree. sounds interesting... I'll let you know.

And on the unhealthy side of things we've been making some yummy milk-shakes and root beer float smoothies as well.... there has to be balance in all things, right!

2 comments:

gramakas said...

Your rolls look soooooo delicious and since I can only see them and not smell anything else, I think you did great! The blender looks like a great device for sparking up interest in the cooking department! Watch out for Bryson... I'm sure he'll love the buttons... especially when the lid if off!!! BTW: hope you guys have a wonderful anniversary!

Traci said...

YUMMY! Where did you get your blender? We need one. We have shakes 3 or 4 times a week. I have wondered about that cookbook. I know a few people that use it. Do you recommendd it?