Monday, February 15, 2010

Discovering Davis Co.

I can hardly believe we've been Davis county residents for a year already. We moved into our home on Valentines day one year ago. I have to say it was a little bit of a rough transition for me, especially with Clark gone so much between work, travel, and school. It's been a little bit of a struggle for me between constantly coming back to Salt Lake where all my friends, family, and familiar places are, and accepting the fact that my life is here now and I need to just stay put and make new friends and new familiar places. I finally feel like I'm getting to the point that I don't feel like driving back to Salt Lake all the time. So over the past year, we've done some exploring of our new neighborhood and these are the places we've discovered:

Lagoon... that's an easy one!

Classic Fun Center, only a mile from our house and Aspen loved it! A little pricey to go very often, but definitely a good place to go on a rainy day esp. during the day when older big kids are in school so the littles don't get trampled in the bounce houses.

3 little monkeys childrens book and game store. There are two locations in Bountiful and Fruit Heights. They have a free story time at 1030 and 1130 am, and they do a little craft as well. Super cute place, and the one in Bountiful is right next to Paradise Cafe, and the one in Fruit Heights is right next to a cute bakery called the Bun Basket...mmm.

The Treehouse Meuseum This is in Ogden and it was pretty cute as well. We went on like a Wednesday afternoon when they did "toddler time". For 2 hours in the afternoon it costs only like $3 and they read stories, sing songs and do a craft. Perfect, because after 2 hours everyone is ready to be done. We might get a season pass next fall.

Layton City Surf n Swim. We've went a couple times in the summer and have gone a couple times in the winter as well. Both the kiddos love it, it helps when Clark comes too so we can tag team the kids.

Hill Airforce Museam: This was our most recent exploration and the best part... it was FREE! I couldn't believe how many planes there were and really how much of it was indoors (which was nice since it was cold and rainy the day we went).

Antelope Island: This was one of our first ventures after we moved here. We thought since we have a beautiful view of the island from our kitchen window it was worth a drive out. The drive was nice, then I went for a bike ride and realized the stinky-ness and buggy-ness of the island. But it was pretty amazing to drive and see Bison right on the side of the road. I think this year we will go out and take some family photos on the beach of the Great Salt Lake, it really is beautiful.

Syracuse Library: Of course we love story time at the library and have found that Syracuse library is nicer and newer than the Layton branch and the girl that does story time is super cute. Bryson doesn't really let me take my time in finding books for me, so as long as I do my homework before we go and look up what books I want to find on goodreads.com (thanks for all my friends on goodreads and your book reviews) I can look online and see what books they have in stock so I can just go right and pick up what i want while Aspen is listening to story time. We do this about once or twice a month.

Davis Lanes: Actually a really nice bowling alley, the kids loved it! The food was crappy.

Places on my list of still needing to check-out.

Nichols Park: I hear this is a super cute park in Fruit Heights. They call it the "castle park" because there are castles everywhere... apparently.

Ogden Nature Center: I haven't heard much about it, it might be worth an afternoon... when it warms up.

Cherry Hill: I can't believe i've actually never been here.

S&S Shortline Train Park and Museum: I've heard people mention this before and say it's a lot of fun.


Black Island Farms in Syracuse, pretty close to my house. Open in Sept and October. Sounds like a lot of fun with corn maze, giant slides, pumpkin patch etc...

Any other suggestions? We're ALWAYS up for checking out new places, and always up for some company!


3 comments:

The Lymans said...

Thanks for this list! I'm getting tired of the Salt Lake stuff :)

john and melissa said...

Let me know when you go on your next dventure and maybe we will tag along.

matt and brynnzie said...

I'm always up for adventure. Matt and I would love to do Dinosaur park with you guys some time.