
Ok... I'll admit that the IDEA of making and decorating sugar cookies is always better than the reality of it. However, this realization never really sets in until you're about a quarter of the way through rolling out the cookies and you start thinking this project will never end and the mess is growing and growing. But I'm happy to report that this years valentine cookie making was none of the above mentioned torture! It was great. Thanks to Heidi for coming over to keep me company and for her kids to keep Aspen distracted until it was time to let each of the kids decorate 2 cookies. After 2 cookies they pretty much lost interest and I could finish the rest of them myself while the kids were playing. And a HUGE thanks to Brynn for this yummy sugar cookie recipe, it's for sure the best one I've ever tried and I hope she doesn't mind me sharing it here. (Also so next time I need to make cookies and I can't find the recipe I can just look it up here). The other good decision I made was to just buy frosting, since it's not that expensive and it's that much less of a mess to make. Not to mention I can't ever seem to get the consistency right... I usually add too much milk then have to compensate with more powdered sugar until I've added too much and I'm back to adding milk, it's a bad cycle I get into. The store bought frosting was brilliant! So i'm happy to report this years Valentine cookies were a huge success! (I just need to run a few extra miles to burn the extra calories).
So here's the recipe:
Brynn's yummy Sugar Cookies
2 C. Sugar
1 C. Shortening
1 C. Sour Cream
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
Roll out 1/4 in. thick, bake at 375 for 10 minutes until edges are barely brown.
2 comments:
Do you remember when we made cookies at my house a gazillion years ago? I love valentines day cookies and this year I didn't make a one. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Maybe I will break out and try it. I am so craving them...miss you
i am glad that they turned out. The only thing I would say about this recipe is that you have to use Shortening (NO SUBSTITUTIONS) They don't turn out well otherwise.
Post a Comment