Friday, June 27, 2008

BIG MILESTONE...

In the spirit of documenting important happenings in our life, I can't not blog about this...

Aspen is officially a binki-free person!!!!!!!!!!! yep. she's becoming a big girl.

In truth I think I was a lot more dependent on the dumb thing than she was. She's actually done pretty well. I forgot to take it to daycare on Monday so she had to take a nap without it. When I picked her up that evening the teacher said she did ask for it a bunch of times and then finally just layed down and went to sleep. So I thought, well here is our chance. So that night we put her down without it and she wasn't very happy about it. She so didn't believe that the binki's really were bye-bye. It took about an hour and a half and a really patient daddy who read her a million stories until she was so tired she fell asleep in his arms. She made it through that night and I thought.... great! Then about 15 minutes after she woke up she found a lone binki amongst her toys (a secret stash). She popped it in so quick and asked to go back to bed. So I gave in and put her back in bed where she fell comfortably back asleep for another 2 hours. When she awoke again she wouldn't get out of her crib. She just sat in her crib for about 45 minutes just sucking on her binki. She must have known this was it for her. Finally I brought her in some juice and she handed me the binki and took the juice and that was it! She has asked for it a couple of times, but really I think she had her little farewell to the binki in the crib and made her peace!

Whew. I know the whole binki thing is a little dramatic, and in truth, the binki has been my best friend from the time aspen was 3 months old! I just was dreading how on earth to ever get rid of it.

Now... if potty training can only go so smoothly! Stay tuned for new adventures in potty training!

4 comments:

Clark Captions said...

Yay Aspen! What a big and brave girl! Whew!

Brooke Bowen said...

Ok, so I've been trying to decide when to do this too. Over the weekend I decided I will start this Thursday night so we have the whole weekend. Your experience gives me great hope!

chanel said...

congratulations ... i totally know how you feel having done this 3 times ... the last one being the hardest! lol!
good luck with the potty training ...
hope you are feeling well
luv chanel

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of her! Good luck with the potty training. Much harder milestone to cross for me!