So everytime I've flown on an airplane with Aspen so far, i get off and swear to myself that I will NOT put myself through that kind of torture again... but then the temptation arises again to go visit heidi and the kids, especially new baby Connor. We had to seize the opportunity, and i find myself talking myself into it, thoughts like "well, I have enough sky miles for a free ticket", "aspen can only fly for free for a few more months, i may as well take advantage of it while I can", or "it's only an hour and 1/2 flight, how bad can it be?" Well.. it never fails... this time i was seriously afraid they were going to escort us out the emergency exit. the flight there wasn't so bad, we survived and thanks to an especially nice lady we sat next to who let Aspen crawl all over her so she could look at the lights out the window. But coming home, boy oh boy. It all started out good, i managed to switch seats and get the window seat right off the bat, and it was all going well until we got into a "holding pattern" somewhere over Milford, UT. It seemed to just go on and on, flying in circles. About this point Aspen started to get especially squirmy and sqealy, and I was loosing patience... fast. After about 15 minutes of wrestling I realized what the problem was... yep, you guessed it... DIRTY diaper, like an 8 on a scale of 1-10 as far as dirty diapers go. So now Aspen was not only sqirmy, squealy, and screamy... she was also STINKY. But now we're starting "our inital descent into the SL valley" so i couldn't get up to change her, not that i really think it would have been possible in an airplane bathroom anyway. So by the time we landed, I had given up and she was just screaming and I was getting the looks... you know what I'm talking about. whew, we were glad to get off that plane.
However, despite the traumatic flight experience, we had so much fun visiting the Swapp's. Aspen and Capri would just run around together and get into everything. Aspen was a little curious about "baby", but not very okay with mommy holding baby. heidi and i got away a few times with minimal children. We went to a 10:00 show of Hairspray, it was so good. We were both walking out of the theatre trying to remember the last time we had been out of the house after midnight, not including working night shifts. It was good for us. Then we got away to check out a few stores, including urban outfitters... a must visit whenever you're outside of SLC! So we had fun, the kids had a great time, and we're glad we made it home!
5 comments:
Oh man! I am not excited to take London to Ohio at the end of August, but that is life... She has done well in the past, but that was when she could not get around and I could feed her! Yikes, what are we going to do for that long!!! She is going to go crazy!
I'm sorry about the horrible flight! I always brought our carseat and then just asked when I checked in and then again at the gate if there were any extra seats and could they please move my seat next to one. I got an extra seat most of the time, so if you fly again before she's two, try it out. Don't be afraid to be annoying. They know the flight will be more peaceful for everyone if there's not a screaming kid, which means fewer complaints and grumpy people they have to deal with. Also, most airplane bathrooms have a changing tray (though some don't) that folds down from the back wall above the toilet, although that still wouldn't have helped since you were descending. (Hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice! We just travel a ton).
Hope the travel tips help! I'm glad you had fun with your sister. And I have heard great things about "Hairspray" and am so excited to go see it!
I am so excited for DIRTY diapers to come back into my life!
You must not be talking about MY granddaughter; she's perfect!
Oh no! You must take a portable DVD player next time. It works like magic! You kind of feel obnoxious at first, but it is way better than a screaming child. Dane will even wear headphones, so it is just pure silence the whole time. Too bad it doesn't help with the dirty diapers though!
Post a Comment