
Day three was Sunday. The real reason we were in Taveuni (aside from the snorkeling, hiking, and lounging at a beautiful resort) was because this new chapel was being dedicated and it was also District Conference. It's amazing how any place on earth, you can easily recognize an LDS chapel. This was a beautiful building, with very well maintained grounds and such a nice piece of property. I wish I had a photo that included the surrounding buildings that were much more typical Fijian style... run down, it just makes this building stand out even more.

These are just a few of the cute youth in the branch. I was so impressed, ALL the men young and old wore white shirts to ties.... they may not wear shoes, but they have white shirts.

This photo is of the Maiwiriwiri family (I think, I could never remember their name, I just kept calling them the mowi-wowi family). This family is a four-generation family within the church, they are true pioneers in their country. They were so wonderful, and so willing to serve. The Grandmother was one of the first 50 members of the church on Taveuni. Her son was a member of the District Presidency and his son was the Branch President. It's so humbling to meet people with so little worldly posessions but who give everything they have in their service to the church. Such an example to me.
After our day at church, we hopped back on our little plane and flew back to Nadi airport where we met up with Heidi. We had a short layover before we boarded another (little bigger) airplane for our 25 minute flight to Suva to stay at my parents apartment.
(p.s. the hot chocoalate at the Nadi airport was like the best Hot Chocolate I've ever had, weird to have Hot Chocolate in Fiji, but it was good!)

On our way to Suva!
No comments:
Post a Comment