Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Flowers

 


So the story behind our yard, (which by the way is coming along, we are making HUGE progress)... Apparently, the origianl owners of the home had a beautiful, immaculate yard with all kinds of flowers and landscaping. They were an elderly couple, and I think they had to go into a retirement home or something like that. So the people who lived here after them weren't quite up for the challenge of maintaining such a yard. They let it get overgrown, and even had a dog which destroyed most of the plants, so they decided just to rip it all out. My neighbor said she came over to visit one day and saw what the lady was doing and was like...STOP!!! She caught her in time to stop her from ripping out the last plant. So in all our back yard of Bindweed... one plant has remained, and it is so beautiful! This morning, I went out and cut some of the flowers to bring them inside. You can see in the photo, through the window in the background is the plant, clear back in the corner of the yard.

So we've decided to revamp much of the backyard. We've pulled out some of the curbing and are making a much smaller, and more managable flower bed/garden. When Clark went to visit his family this past weekend, he came home with 5 trees, 2 rosebushes, 2 lilac bushes, 2 dogwood plants, lots of flowers and even plants to start our garden: tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, peppers, etc... Mind you, I have NEVER in my life ever grown anything in a garden, so this is all a new experience for me. Gratefully, Clark's parents are pro's so they can walk us through it. How hard can it be, really?

I guess we'll find out! Stay tuned for upcoming AFTER posts of the yard!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Danielle said...

KATIE! Hi there!!! It is so good to catch up on your cute family. I hope you guys are doing great!!
Danielle (Clark)

Danielle said...

I'm so sorry I spoiled your fun! I couldn't wait to congratulate Apolo and Julianne publicly! The finale was way toooooo long anyway, so you will probably thank me later. No BHS reunion for me. Blogging has sort of become like my mini-reunion though. Does that count? =) Hope you guys are doing great!!!

chanel said...

just reading your posts ... hope the cold sore is going ok .. they totally suck! and i was totally laughing reading your post .... like its punishment - too funny! I will be wondering the next time i get one ...
good luck with the backyard .. Clark did mention your plans! luv chanel

chanel said...

tell clark that gary tried to leave him a comment on the blog the other night, and after ages of not getting it sorted got frustrated and gave up ... so Gary says HI to clark!

hks said...

i think you are just trying to make us look bad.
(not hard)...
the flowers are beautifuL! i love that soft pretty pink color!

gramakas said...

Those flowers are so beautiful and the bush in the backyard is amazing... maybe the key to sucess is neglect. I love the vase too!