Friday, August 13, 2010

Butterfly Gardens


Today was the first time we ventured on an outing that was outdoors, during the day, and not involving a swimming pool. I think the temperatures today were around 100 but with the humidity, it was a heat index of about 114. seriously. hot and sweaty.

So we drove about 20 miles east to a cute place called Powell Gardens, they were having their annual Butterfly celebration. The kids loved it, of course... Aspen actually was way more into the caterpillars than the butterflies, luckily they had plenty of both. The highlight was the childrens parade through the gardens led by Fancy Nancy. That was for sure a hit. Then of course, we were able to end the day running through the fountains to cool down. I didn't know they had fountains, so we didn't come prepared with swimsuits... oh well, we made do.

(Fancy Nancy and Aspen)



2 comments:

kj said...

That monarch butterfly look so familiar to me. It reminds me of my grand niece, Aspen. Do you think they are related? Is that blue butterfly real? It is a beauty. Fancy Nancy is a favorite of mine!

gramakas said...

What a super fun outing! Those butterflies are beautiful! especially the "Aspen" and "Bryson" versions! Just don't let them fly away! (I'm not so sure about that temperature! And I thought PHX was hot!)