Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Creative Escape....



So my mom and I had the chance this past weekend of going to Arizona to volunteer at Creative Escape.... it's a big scrapbooking event that my sis puts on every year.... and it's no small deal. This year it was at a Beautiful 5 star resort in Phoenix. Originally i was just going to be a volunteer helping heidi in her class, but because of how her class was laid out, I ended up helping her actually teach a portion of the class...24 times. yikes. It was pretty tiring (esp for a big pregnant lady like myself) but it was so much fun! While I was teaching heidi's class I had to share a story about what it's like being "Heidi Swapp's sister". ... here it is...

So a couple of years ago while I was working at the University of Utah Hospital, they decided to do something special for nurses week. They brought in a bunch of photographers for a day to capture "a day in the life of nursinng". The whole day they were photographing us and everything we did. They must have taken a million photos. Then a few weeks later when nurses week came they published a really nice insert in the newspaper, it was like 7 or 8 pages long and it really was a nice tribute to nurses.

Well, coincidentally, the same week that nursing publication came out in Salt Lake, the Arizona Republic ran a feature article on "Heidi Swapp, a local scrapbooking celebrity". It was this huge 1 page spread on the front cover of one of the newspaper sections. It had this big picture of heidi and this really nice article about who she is and what she does and what a big deal she is in the world of scrapbooking.

So both of these newspaper articles came out at the same time and of all the photos they took of me that day, they chose one photo and put it on the very back page, it was about 2" X 2" and it was a photo of the back of my head looking in a room at my critically ill ICU patient.... and to top it off they spelled my name wrong. sigh... story of my life!

So there you have it! It's okay though, I'm so happy and proud of my sister and the amazing things she has accomplished, not to mention what an influence for good she is for so many scrapbookers around the world. I'm so lucky to be her sister and to get a free ticket to tag along with her to all her crazy scrapbooking events (not to mention the free heidi swapp swag I score!)

The last night of the event they put on a really fancy dinner where they serve "dessert first". So here is a photo of me with the first course of my meal... can't beat that!

Thanks Heidi for letting me be a part of your events... again and again!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

That's got to be so weird to have a bonafide celebrity in your family! I would imagine that the weird part is that it's so normal ... does that make sense? And hey, even if you're only famous for being "Heidi Swapp's sister," that still makes you a little bit famous which is more than the rest of us can say!

Clark Captions said...

Oh Katie!! I am laughing so hard at your photo opp story! I'm sure the back of your head was beautiful! Soo sorry though! What a fun weekend to get away with the girls!

Christine said...

Don't worry Katie, I think nurses rock! It's hilarious though, because even here in D.C., my friends from work will be talking about scrapbooking and I'll casually be like "Oh, I know Heidi Swapp's sister" and they look at me like NUH-UH!!!!!!! You're totally lying to us. I get third-handed cool-status by mentioning that I'm the friend of a sister of a scrapbooking celebrity.

kj said...

Your photo of the 3 of you is the best ever. You all need one blown up big for your homes. Where would the world be without nurses? You chose an incredible profession. Your patients are all blessed in your care.
Eating dessert first at a banquet is priceless. I want a taste of that dessert, it is a masterpiece just to look at.

Anonymous said...

Um when you are going to share your knowledge with your lowly friend Ali. You should teach a class here and make some extra dough to pay for little boy Hymas!!!

Kelly Goree Photography said...

LOL Well I sure was glad to see you, Katie - it's always a pleasure :) Can't wait for news when the little one arrives (and HOORAY for potty training! :))