Tuesday, August 28, 2007

status post new job day 1

Well, it has literally been months since I was hired by IHC (intermountain health care) to work in the PACU (post-anesthesia care unit, AKA: recovery room). At the new Intermountain Medical Center which is scheduled to open the end of October. I was hired to start training up at LDS hospital and staff their PACU until the IMC opened. So I managed to put off my start date until now so I could give plenty of notice at my previous job and also take a few weeks off to do all the playing and traveling we've been doing this month. But alas, the time has arrived... I spent 3 days last week in classroom orientation (BORING!!) and finally stepped foot into the hospital today. I've worked at LDS hospital before when I was in nursing school, so the place seems somewhat familiar, but very foreign at the same time. I've worked at the University of Utah Medical Center for 9 years, so it's become a second home to me, so being in a new hospital just feels strange. It smells more like a hospital, I think. Anyway, so I'm just now getting home and reflecting on my first day of my new job, I think I can summarize a few of the highlights in a pro's and con's list:

Cons:
Parking, it was a NIGHTMARE!!! they told me to come early to find a parking spot, they must have meant like a day early. sheesh, I drove all through 2 parking terraces and around the block about 3 times before i came upon what i thought was a 2 hour parking spot, on the street. So I went in and then came out in time to move my car, only to find I had recieved a ticket anyway. apparently it was a "residential" parking zone, so I was busted anyway...ugh! So after driving through the terrace 2 more times, I finally found a spot.

It's a new job. i'm just not good at starting new jobs, I don't like being the new person and having to meet new people, it forces me out of my very cozy comfort zone. I hate being unfamiliar with policies and paperwork and just the little quirks that nursing units have, and nursing staff have. Plus being the new person you always get the crappy schedules.

We had lots of down time... which usually isn't all that bad, I'll just take out my book and read, or catch up on email, or read blogs. But i figured it probably doesn't look good on my first day to be sitting there reading a book, or surfing the net when i should be reading the "policies and procedures" handbook, or exploring the equiptment room to familiarize myself with where the emesis basins are located for quick access the first time my post-op is about to ralph on me.

I think that is most of my negative nelly thoughts, there were on the other hand some bright spots!

PROS:

This is a BIG one... there is a soda fountain in our unit... for us to use! FREE DIET COKE ALL DAY, EVERYDAY!!!!! Plus they have styrophome (sp?) cups (I know it's not environmentally friendly, but it keeps the ice from melting) and the really good hospital ice. I was way stoked on that one, especially because I think I'm going to have to give up drinking DC whenever Aspen is around. She has a diet coke problem. that's a whole other blog. But it really softened the blow of getting a parking ticket on my first day of work.

patients only stay for about 1 hour max! yeah!!! no more crazy patients for 12 hours, and even better... no more crazy family members to deal with. the patients just roll in, hang out for a while until they are more awake, give them some pain meds and roll them to their next destination. so it will be a refreshing change... at least for a little while.

Overall, everyone seemed really nice and it sounds like they've been short-staffed for a while, so they were pretty happy to meet me. I think it will be good, especially when the new hospital opens and it will be much closer to my house and hopefully I can get a good cushy schedule! Until then, I'll just keep focusing on free diet coke! No more scrounging through the change collection in my car to make sure I have at least 65 cents for a soda!

Ah, change is good right?!?! i'll just keep telling myself that~
Sorry about the REALLY long post! I'm going to bed now

9 comments:

Melanie said...

Congrats on the new job!

Camdog said...

Just remember:
WLMM

gramakas said...

You are a great nurse... they are super lucky to have you on staff. Maybe you better check out the bus schedule; that way you won't have to worry about a parking spot!

Danielle said...

Wow, that all sounds so awesome! Except for the parking thing =) And unlimited DC? I don't think it can get much better than that. Congrats!

Brooke Bowen said...

Diet Coke in a styrofoam cup with crushed ice and a straw! The most perfect combination!

Beau said...

Katie, You'll LOVE the PACU!!! That's where I work at Primarys. Lots of fun codes and good hours...you can't beat it. Love ya, Chelsa

Elise said...

YAY. If Chris heads back there, then maybe you'll see him! I'm sure you will be groovin to the IHC beat in no time : )

Amanda said...

I completely understand the "new job feeling." Not knowing exactly what to do or who anyone is. I am not a good change person. My husband starts a new job on Tuesday and I feel the same way for him. But I don't think he'll have free diet coke... too bad for him! Amanda

Anonymous said...

Yay...change is hard, but sometimes really fun and good. I love your DC comment because I love the DC there...I made Tanner go get me like 3 a day when I had the babins there...