Monday, October 30, 2006

Kyoto

Whew! I can`t believe we survived all eight classes at CKU! Things wrapped up yesterday afternoon and then we went out with all the teachers to celebrate. One of the CKU assistants family ownes a tempura restaurant in Okasaka which is about a 20 minute cab ride from tokyo. So we all went there for dinner. It was one of those cool places where the table is really low to the floor and the floor is dug out so you are sitting on the ground, but your feet go under the table, if that makes sense... very japanese. dinner was yummy, tempura is basically batter fried anything. in the US it:s usually like shrimp, carrots, squash, onions. here we had shrimp, asparagus, lotus root, squid, scallops, raddish, white fish, yellowtail fish, you get the idea... it was pretty good though! I especially liked the shrimp. Clark loves it all, and I think heidi is glad she:s not here! After dinner we walked to Tokyo tower. I didn:t know about this, but tokyo tower is like the eiffel tower, only a little smaller.. who knew? it was pretty cool, it was too late to take the elevator up, but it was pretty spectacular all lit up. by the time we finally made it back to our hotel that night we were wiped out. there has been little down time this entire trip.

today we got all packed up and caught the bullet train from tokyo to kyoto, it was about a 2 1/2 hour trip. file:////kyoto is beautiful, it:s still a big city, but it seems more laid back that tokyo and there are a lot of trees and greenery. there are a ton of shrines all over... it`s a cool mix of big city and old traditional japan. tonight we went to an area where clark served on his mission. he found a shop where a lady works who is a member in this area. she was still there, so we visited with her and then she took us to the bishop`s house. he wasn`t there, but his wife was so we visited with her for a while also. everyone is so kind and warm and welcoming, it`s been really neat.

everyone around here rides bikes, we keep thinking it would be great if we could find a bike rental place, and what do you know.. we found one! for $20 we got two mamachates (beach cruiser bikes) and we have been all over on them! It`s great, we can cover a lot more ground this way.

well, now we`re exhausted again and ready to crash for the night. tomorrow we:re planning on taking a train into nara which is another area where clark served...

to be continued!

2 comments:

Kage said...

I have loved reading about all your Japan Adventures. I am fatally allergic to shellfish and as a result, I avoid all fish, so I would have HATED the dining experience...or maybe I would have had no emotion, b/c I would be dead. Do you think any Japanese people have that allergy?

Camdog said...

Okay - it is now official - I wish I was there with you. It sounds so great to be someplace so unlike anywhere I've ever been.
HAVE FUN with what time you have left.