

Ugh, this is what I've been dreading all winter long. We have this horrible weed that is taking over our backyard. I've been doing some research and it's called "bindweed", because it has this amazing underground root network that is basically impossible to kill. I spent a couple of days last week trying to dig it out and learned that by disturbing the root system you only make it flourish more. I guess that rototilling it twice last year was a bad answer. So now I have no idea what to do. I keep telling Clark that I don't want to have a dog because it'll destroy the backyard and I would love to be able to go outside and enjoy the yard, you know get a swingset and stuff. I'm not enjoying the backyard as it is, in fact somedays I don't even open the blinds to the backyard so I don't have to look at it. So I guess why not just get a dog anyhow? That may be pushing it. At this point i'd rather sell the house and try again somewhere else. ugh. Apparently, the original owners of the house had an immaculate yard, they were the envy of the neighborhood, then the next owners let it go to crap. Last summer, Clark had to completely fix the sprinkler system, so I guess this year it'll be to tackle the bindweed. I'm open to suggestions!
2 comments:
Wow that's a doozy!! Maybe you should take some tips from the Swapps landscape designer!lol!
That's an unfortunate problem, but nothing some old fashioned grit can't solve (and probably 3 years of vigilance). I've spotted a bit of this at my place, so I'm grateful for your heads up. Here is what I would do. Find an herbicide to spray on the plant. Then cover the entire area with garden tarp. Third, spread bark chips over that. Our yard has bark edging and it looks reallly nice. If you want to plant flowers or shrubs, you'll have to build above-ground boxes, use pots, or display rocks. Consult taylor for easy boxing and soiling methods. I will be doing a little of all of these this year. Good luck.
Post a Comment