Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Kindergarten Rocks!



Well... we did it! We made it to Kindergarten! Aspen is loving it and having so much fun. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel on that first day of school, but it turned out that Bryson was the one crying at the bus stop... not me or Aspen. He just tried following her onto the bus and when I took him down, he just kept crying "I go too!" He was pretty sad for the first couple days. However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a meltdown myself, only it happened a couple days earlier at "meet the teacher night". I thought we were just going to go and check out the classroom and meet the teacher, which we did, but as we were leaving the teacher mentioned not to forget to stop by the cafeteria. So we wandered down there to see what we needed to do and BOOM... next thing I knew we were in the big gymnasium full of people and like 10 different tables set up with things we needed to sign up for and pay for... like t-shirts, yearbooks, PTA, girl scouts, fundraisers, bus route, cafeteria card etc etc etc... I suddenly felt completely unprepared and overwhelmed at sending my child off to school. I hadn't given any thought to all that comes along with school. Couple that with an influx of pregnancy hormones and emotional instability and suddenly I had this feeling that I was either going to pass out or throw up. I got really hot really fast and had to sit down. So once I had composed myself and filled out my order form for everything I needed to pay for, I stood in the line only to be told they only take checks. Well... who carries a checkbook around? Not me. So after all that, I just took Aspen's hand and we went home. That was the point at which the meltdown ensued. But in the end it all turned out all right, because later that night when I sat down and looked through the stacks of papers and order forms, I realized Aspen doesn't need any of that stuff to start Kindergarten! So I didn't end up paying for any of it (except the cafeteria card). I felt much better after I made that decision. So since I was able to get the meltdown out of the way, I was able to smile and give Aspen a big hug and send her off on the bus to the big wide world! I know she's going to do great. I love knowing that she's off having fun, playing, learning, and socializing all day long. KINDERGARTEN ROCKS!!!

3 comments:

Lynnae said...

Kindergarten is the best. I'm glad she's enjoying it! Our school tries to sell us on all those ridiculous extras as well. I buy the $3 school directory and that's about it. I'm glad you ended up with some time to mull it over. They really do like to hit you like a deer in headlights. I'm sorry they overwhelmed you!

Melissa said...

Wow, I can't believe that she is in kindergarten already. I guess time really does fly by. She looks so sweet. Tell her "Aunt Melissa" misses seeing her!

kj said...

I'm sure Aspen will love school. I'm sure you will love hearing the new things she's learned each day. I'm sure Bryson will be happy to have his big sis home after school and on weekends. I'm sure Clark will do all of the above too.